Public Record Search
Marriage Form Kiosk
Escrow Agent Account
Purchasing a Vehicle
Selling a Vehicle
Mail in & Early Voting
2013 Election Brochure/Calendar
Districts & Legislators
Commonly Asked Questions
Voter Precinct & Commissioner Districts Maps
County Wide Map
BOCC Districts Resolution 2011-37
Clerk to the Board
& Liquor Licenses
Locations to apply for marriage license:
Clerk & Recorder's Office
PO Box 1067/555 Main St.
Meeker, CO 81641
Hours: 8:30am - 4:30pm
Rangely Branch Office
17497 Hwy 64
Rangely, CO 81648
Hours: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Both the bride and groom need to be present during office hours to complete the marriage application. If one party cannot be present, he or she must complete a marriage license application before a notary public prior to the application at the office. The ceremony may take place anywhere within the State of Colorado. The license is valid for 35 days, including the date of issuance. The bride and groom are not required to be Colorado residents to apply for a marriage license.
For applicants who have been previously married, be prepared to supply the date, place and court, if divorced. Widows/widowers will need to furnish the date and place of death of their spouse.
- $30.00 application fee.
- Both parties to the marriage must be of age (18 years old).
If the bride or groom are less than 18 years old, but more than 16 years old, the consent of both parents or the parent having legal custody (documentation provided) is required. If under 16 years old, a court order is required in addition to parental consent.
- Legal identification is required.
Valid Driver's License or ID, Passport, or certified copy of birth record (with a raised seal)
- No blood test is required.
Beginning July 1, 1989, blood tests are no longer required in Colorado.
Couples may not apply for a marriage license while still married to another person. Divorces must be final before application is made.
Marriages between ancestor and descendant, brother and sister, uncle and niece, or aunt and nephew, whether the relationship is by half or whole blood, is prohibited. Cousins are permitted to marry in the State of Colorado.
Persons in Colorado authorized by law to solemnize a marriage are: judges, retired judges, magistrates, Indian tribe officials, clergy, and the bride and groom. Clergy do not need to be registered in Colorado and may be from out-of-state.
Although couples may solemnize their own marriage, friends or relatives cannot solemnize the marriage. Friends and relatives may participate in the ceremony, but may not pronounce the couple husband and wife. Couples may solemnize their marriage in the County Clerk's offices after completion of the application or at any ceremony location and time of their choice.
Completing and Returning the Marriage License
- Complete the bottom portion of the marriage license including county, date of marriage, place of ceremony, and signature lines. The person solemnizing the marriage must sign and indicate his/her official title. If solemnized by the bride and groom, both must sign the line for the person(s) solemnizing the marriage and indicate 'bride and groom' on the official title line. The bride and groom must also sign on the lines for the bride and groom in the lower right hand corner.
- Witnesses are not required by law. There is no age requirement for a witness.
- The person solemnizing the marriage is responsible to return the license to the issuing county clerk's office within sixty days of the ceremony.
Certified Copies of the Marriage License
The marriage license is recorded in the county where issued. The original certificate is mailed to the return address indicated on the marriage license, generally within 1-2 working days. The cost for a certified copy of the marriage license is $1.25
Marriage License Records
Marriage licenses are public information. Only marriage licenses issued by Rio Blanco County are recorded in the county records. Ceremonies may take place in Rio Blanco County with the license recorded in another Colorado county.
Back to Clerk & Recorder Home Page