Tax Lien Sale
2018 Tax Lien Sale will be held November 14, 2018 at 10:00am
Tax Lien Sale Information
- All purchases must be covered by cash, certified funds, or personal check with the Treasurer's approval.
- All tax sales in Colorado are conducted as per CRS 39-11-101 through 39-12-113.
- Each year the Colorado Banking Commission determines the rate of return. The annual percentage rate is set at nine points above the federal discount rate as of September of that year.
- Mobile homes are subject to distraint and tax lien sale if taxes are not paid.
- Personal property (filed by businesses) is subject to distraint, seizure, and public tax sale if taxes are not paid.
- Real property is subject to tax lien sale if taxes are not paid.
- The Rio Blanco County Tax Lien Sale is mid-November of each year the week before Thanksgiving. Call the County Treasurer for the exact date and time.
- The sale is conducted in the office of the County Treasurer and is a bidding auction. Minimum bidding starts with published amounts which include the taxes due, interest, advertising, special assessments, and certificate of purchase fees. Bids are taken in $1 increments over and above the published amount due. Bid monies are not refundable.
- The Treasurer's Deed application process requires a $300 minimum deposit and takes several months to complete. A Treasurer's Deed can be issued three years from the date of the original tax sale date. The tax sale certificate may be redeemed up until the time the Treasurer's Deed is issued.
- When you purchase a tax lien sale certificate on property, you become a recorded lien holder on that property. You purchase the tax lien, not the property.