Landfill CouponsAround March 1, a landfill coupon is mailed to each household in Rio Blanco County. It entitles you to dump a pickup and trailer full of household waste at the landfill for free. Compliments of Rio Blanco County!
If you don't get your coupon, please call the office at (970) 878-9590 and request it. Remember, certain wastes are banned from the landfill. See the list below. Remember: refrigerators and freezers must have a certified freon-free tag.
What electronic devices are banned from Colorado landfills?
TELEVISION SETS, CENTRAL PROCESSING UNITS (CPUs), COMPUTER MONITORS, PERIPHERALS, PRINTERS, FAX MACHINES, LAPTOPS, NOTEBOOKS, ULTRA BOOKS, ELECTRONIC TABLETS, DIGITAL VIDEO DISC (DVD) PLAYERS, VIDEO CASSETTE RECORDERS (VCRs), RADIOS, STEREOS, VIDEO GAME CONSOLES, VIDEO DISPLAY DEVICES (with viewing screens greater than four inches diagonally. More info. on the e-waste ban is available here.
What other wastes are banned from Wray Gulch Solid Waste Landfill?
Wastes Containing Free Liquids High Mercury Flourescent Light Bulbs
Friable Asbestos Containing Materials Commercial and Vehicle Batteries
Toxic and Hazardous Wastes Tires (Commercially generated)
Unopened Drums Ammunition
Rio Blanco County's Public Facilities Department administers the County's solid waste facilities.
Methods of Payment and Fees
Rio Blanco County currently does not accept credit or debit cards. Cash or checks are the only forms of payment allowed. Unless you have an account, be sure to take payment with you, or you may not be allowed to dump.
Most waste is charged by weight. The only exceptions are tires, junk vehicles and mobile homes.
Check out the fee schedule (pdf) for current rates.
Landfill Holiday Closures
The landfill is closed on Sunday and the following major holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
The landfill must close when winds are 25 miles per hour sustained, or 40 mile per hour gusts. A link below has real-time alerts.
Contractors & Commercial Haulers
If you have a business and wish to haul to the landfill on the non-public days you must fill out a Wray Gulch Landfill Credit Application (PDF) and receive approval.
Acceptable Solid Waste
The landfill accepts all normal municipal solid waste generated by Rio Blanco County residents. Liquids cannot be disposed of at this landfill.
Hazardous waste will not be accepted at any Rio Blanco County Landfill.
Building Demolition Waste and Asbestos
Non-friable and/or Friable asbestos may be taken if the proper procedures are followed. See the Rio Blanco County Demolition Disposal Guideline and the RBC Friable Asbestos Acceptance Guideline for more information and forms. The State of Colorado regulates our landfill and more information on Asbestos is available on their website and in their "Demolition and Renovation - Asbestos" document.
Fees are assessed for special waste according to the following schedule:
- $30 per ton for special waste generated within Rio Blanco County
- Out-of-county generated waste will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Off-specification, out-dated, or discarded chemical or petroleum products.
- Waste containing free liquids (not currently accepted by Rio Blanco County).
- Waste generated by a pollution control process or facility.
- Waste generated by an industrial process.
- Waste which is sludge or semi-solid (not currently accepted by Rio Blanco County).
- Contaminated soil or debris resulting from the cleanup or spill or release of materials listed in 1 through 5 above.
- Read the Special Waste Acceptance Protocol.
- Fill in the Special Waste Characterization Form.
- Submit the form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Winn Cowman of Souder, Miller & Associates (SMA) will determine the lab analysis that is required.
- After reviewing the lab analysis, SMA will give Rio Blanco County their recommendation on the acceptability of the waste.
- If approved, Rio Blanco County will assign a special waste number.